Since the house was built in the late 1800s, there have been several owners and a few additions to the building. It was home to Silas and Margaret Efaw Hendricson who turned the building into a boarding house. Mrs. Hendricson willed the house to her daughter, Emma Bartlett in 1914. Ms. Bartlett then sold it to Walter V. Ross, who in 1936 sold it to the Home Owners Loan Corporation. Four years later, the property was sold to Lewis Wade and Irene May Emrick. Mrs. Emrick was a state policeman, and she operated a The Emrick Tourist Home and also rented out some of the upper apartments.
The Emricks sold the property to Mr. and Mrs. W.F. Jones who then opened W.F. Jones Funeral Home. Mr. Jones passed away in 1963 and Darrell Masters, who was employed at the funeral home since its opening in 1946, purchased the home in 1973. The name was changed to Masters Funeral Home in 1979. Mr. Masters, who with the help of his wife, Elizabeth and their son, Vernon Darrell Masters, went on to become a very well respected businessman in the community. Darrell Masters passed away in 1992, and not long after in 1994, his son Vernon passed away. Elizabeth Masters still owned the business until the spring of 2014 and then passed it on to her son, Gary Masters and her grandson, Kevin Masters, who now operates the business with Stephen Varner serving as the funeral director.
While most of the original craftsmanship remains, there has been some changes down through the years. There is a full basement made of cut stone with a concrete cistern used to wash the funeral home vehicles. There was an addition built onto the building, which consisted of the chapel and then upstairs, a new casket display room. Part of the wrap around porch was used to make the present office. The stained glass upper window in the front of the building, which many look at with confusion because of the “defects”, remains intact as it was originally constructed.